REM Sleep Cycle Calculator - How Much Sleep do You Need?

Sleep perchance to dream - if only! Most people are so sleep deprived they find their car keys in the fridge most mornings. 

That Nightclub of Nod can be an elusive place. Everyone in town is desperate to go there, but the tickets sold out months ago! And the bouncers look mean so there’s no hope of bribing your way in. You look longingly through the window at the pajama-wearing crowd, as they clutch their hot cocoas and climb into their huge plush beds. They will have glorious sleep tonight, while you lie awake wondering if it will ever be your turn. But wait a minute, glorious sleep is for everyone and our sleep cycle calculator is your VIP ticket to the Nightclub of Nod.  

Sleep Calculator: How to Choose the Right Bedtime

If you’re unsure of how much sleep do I need? A sleep cycle calculator will help you determine a new bed and wake time that could reinvigorate your life. The REM cycle of sleep is vital to your sleep process. In this phase of sleep is when your body springs into action repairing and rebuilding your tired body and mind. 

According to the National Sleep Foundation’s Sleep Health Index, 45% of Americans admit a lack of sleep affects their daily lives. If we told you there was a 45% chance of rain today, you'd take an umbrella, right? Americans sleep on average 7.5 hours per night but 35% of Sleep Index respondents say they would class their sleep quality as ‘poor’, or ‘average’. While 20% feel groggy and sleepy upon waking. We're sleeping badly because we're not getting quality sleep and it's sleep quantity over quality that's affecting our daily lives and our health negatively. 

Choosing the right bedtime is simple, sticking to it is the hardest part. Consider your schedule when calculating from the sleep cycle calculator. Not everyone shares the same work or study schedule so use this sleep cycle calculator to help guide your new routine. 

How Much Sleep do we Need?

Sleep Guidelines Table 

  • Birth to 3 months: 14 to 17 hours
  • 4 to 11 months: 12 to 15 hours
  • 1 to 2 years: 11 to 14 hours
  • 3 to 5 years: 10 to 13 hours
  • 6 to 13 years: 9 to 11 hours
  • 14 to 17 years: 8 to 10 hours
  • 18 to 64 years: 7 to 9 hours
  • 65 years and older: 7 to 8 hours

The REM Sleep Cycle Calculator 

Wake-up time

Bed time:

7.5 hours of sleep

(5 cycles)

Bed time:

9 hours of sleep

(6 cycles)

4 a.m.

8:15 p.m.

6:45 p.m.

4:15 a.m.

8:30 p.m.

7 p.m.

4:30 a.m.

8:45 p.m.

7:15 p.m.

4:45 a.m.

9 p.m.

7:30 p.m.

5 a.m.

9:15 p.m.

7:45 p.m.

5:15 a.m.

9:30 p.m.

8 p.m.

5:30 a.m.

9:45 p.m.

8:15 p.m.

5:45 a.m.

10 p.m.

8:30 p.m.

6 a.m.

10:15 p.m.

8:45 p.m.

6:15 a.m.

10:30 p.m.

9 p.m.

6:30 a.m.

10:45 p.m.

9:15 p.m.

6:45 a.m.

11 p.m.

9:30 p.m.

7 a.m.

11:15 p.m.

9:45 p.m.

7:15 a.m.

11:30 p.m.

10 p.m.

7:30 a.m.

11:45 p.m.

10:15 p.m.

7:45 a.m.

12 p.m.

10:30 p.m.

8 a.m.

12:15 a.m.

10:45 p.m.

8:15 a.m.

12:30 a.m.

11 p.m.

8:30 a.m.

12:45 a.m.

11:15 p.m.

8:45 a.m.

1 a.m.

11:30 p.m.

9 a.m.

1:15 a.m.

11:45 p.m.

How to Sleep Calculate Your Ideal Bedtime

Once you know how long you need to sleep, you can use the Rem Sleep Calculator to figure out what time you should be going to bed. This is essential to set up your optimal sleep routine. Getting the right amount of sleep is incredibly valuable and this is the ideal first step to take on your sleep health journey. 

The sleep calculation is quite simple. Begin with the time you need to wake up. From there, you’ll count back 7.5 hours to the time you need to sleep. However, don’t stop there. The average person takes 15 minutes to fall asleep once their head hits the pillow and their eyes close, meaning you need 7 hours and 45 minutes in bed with the lights off. So, work back another 15 minutes to figure out when lights need to go off and you need to get into bed.

The Ideal Bedtime 

Calculating your ideal sleep quantity is all about determining when to go to bed and when to wake up. The more consistent the bedtime routine is, the better the results of the sleep calculation. Consistency is the key to the ideal sleep and to waking up refreshed every morning.

Done correctly, the sleep cycle calculator will often remove the need for most sleepers to use an alarm clock every morning. When the sleep cycle calculator routine has been put into place, most people will wake up refreshed within a 30 minutes sleep cycle every morning. No need to use an alarm clock, as the body will adjust automatically and wake up during the same sleep cycle each morning. So it’s a win-win - quality rest and recuperation achieved. 

What is REM Sleep?

You cycle through 5 stages of sleep per night, each stage has importance but the REM stage is a deep sleep that is vital in boosting your physical and mental health. Hormones are regulated, memory and learning capabilities are improved, muscles and tissues are repaired, your immune system gets stronger, and energy is stored for the following day. Although sometimes this phase of sleep can be somewhat tiring (especially if you dream a lot) it’s a crucial stage of sleep that is required for optimum health.   

What are the Stages of Sleep?

Stage 1 - Light Sleep 

Muscle activity lowers, eyes move slowly, easy to wake. Catnap phase.

Stage 2 - Light Sleep 

Muscle activity continues to slow down. Power nap phase. 

Stage 3-4 - Deep Sleep 

Brain wave activity slows down, eye movements slow down, heart rate, and body temperature drop. Body repair phase, muscles, and tissue repairs and grows, the immune system is boosted, energy is stored.

Stage 5 - REM Sleep 

Eye movements dart. Important sleep stage for long term memory storage. The average adult will have up to 6 REM cycles per night.

Why is REM Sleep Important?

REM sleep is as important to your health as gasoline is to your car. Without it, you would be sitting in your driveway feeling a little confused. REM sleep is the final and crucial phase of sleep where the areas of memory retention and learning burst into action. Storing all your memories in a safe place for you. So in the morning when you’re looking for your car keys, you go straight to the fridge!

How Long Does it Take to Enter REM Sleep?

You’ll enter a 10 minute REM phase of sleep 90 minutes after you fall asleep. The remaining REM stages become increasingly longer with the final stage lasting up to 1 hour. Your heart may beat a little faster, you’ll perspire a little more, and your limbs, face, and fingers may twitch a little. Parts of your brain are being stimulated but you’re immobile so you don’t act out and hurt yourself in your sleep. 

How Long Does REM Sleep Last?

You’ll cycle through 3-5 REM stages every night. The first will last 10 minutes with each stage increasing in time. The final REM stage will last up to 1 hour, if you get 7-8 hours of sleep per night, 1 hour should be spent in REM, which accounts for 20-25%.  

Tips and Tricks for a Better Night’s Sleep

  • Keep a regular bedtime and waketime 
  • If you’re not asleep within 20 minutes, read a book or try some meditation to relax 
  • If you need a nap during the day, keep it up to 20 minutes so as not to disturb your nighttime sleep   
  • Avoid caffeine after lunchtime, have herbal tea with honey instead
  • Start a nighttime routine that makes you feel relaxed; reading, writing, hot shower, or listening to chill music
  • Keep good sleep hygiene by powering down devices and not eating big meals before bedtime 
  • Ensure you’re sleeping on a quality mattress and pillow    

Conclusion 

A consistent and healthy sleep cycle is vital to overall health. Sleeping is when a lot of maintenance, processing, and repair is occurring within your body. Your brain takes in a lot of information during the day and when you sleep, you’re storing all this information. Memories are being categorized as they are transferred from short-term memory to long-term memory (consolidation). Sleeping helps muscle growth, tissue repair, healing from illness, and regulates hormone levels. 

When you wonder, ‘when is my bedtime’, check the hours of sleep calculator and enjoy a new sleep rhythm. So put your PJ’s on and get ready for the Nightclub of Nod, your sleep pod is waiting.